Today all of 5/6 participated in an online webinar about staying safe and secure in the online environment. We looked at different types of scams like; fake friends trying to access your personal info, too good to be true adds and ransomware. We discussed different ways to spot if something may be a scam like:
- no logo
- no name
- spelling or grammar wrong
- pressure or urgency
Some stats are:
- 12% of children (3-6s) have experienced some kind of scam.
- in 2017 people lost 90 million dollars via scams
- over 60s are the most commonly scammed
What you can do:
- download firewall and other similar protection systems
- always have location/GPS services off
- only be online friend with people you know and trust
- think logically and systematically when online
They recommended that if you encounter a scam to report it and tell a trusted adult. And they also recommended kids helpline.