Fiction is all about the character

The” two “main characters in this text were Laurie and “Charles” . They told us at the start of the text that he wore blue jeans and a belt and that Charles was fresh .They were both cheeky,  naughty, and both a bit of a troublemaker. You can tell that Laurie is these things because he lied about ” Charles ”  existing. I think Laurie acts this way because going to school is a big change in his life and he might of been left out or might not of fitted in and might of had trouble making friends and wasn’t used to it.I think he did all of this to sound fine about going to school and to impress his parents.

“You know what Charles did today?” Laurie demanded at the lunch table, in a voice slightly amazed. “He told a little girl to say a word and she said it and the teacher washed her mouth out with soap and Charles laughed.” 

Fiction is all about what the character wants

I think overall there are three main things he wants; to be and sound cool, to impress and make his parents proud and to fit in at school.  He wants his parents to think he is not behaving poorly  and to make them think he has plenty  of friends and his having a great time at school, he just doesn’t want to be laughed at or teased in any way.

The next day Laurie spoke up as soon as returned. “Well, Charles was bad again today.” He grinned enormously and said, “Today Charles hit the teacher.”

” Charles”  just want to be the cool and popular troublemaker he wants to shake it up a bit. He wants everybody to talk about him like Laurie is.

Fiction is all about how the character gets or doesn’t get what he wants

For a short period of time he did succeed in making his parents think he did fit in and was behaving well at school. But at the end of the text lauries mother found out it was all a lie.

“Charles?” she said. “We don’t have any Charles in the class.”

We don’t know if she realized it was him or if she thought it never happened, personally I think she would known it was him because of how well she knows him. Also towards the end he did succeed in behaving better because he becomes the teachers helper. We don’t know if  was successful in making friends and fitting in.

Fiction is all about how your character changes

At the start he was dishonest, lied and wasn’t telling the truth to parents. Towards the end he stated behaving better at school  and was slightly more honest with his parents. I think he learned it’s important to tell the truth, and you should always be honest with your parents, and it’s okay to make mistakes as long as your honest. I also learnt these things from reading this.

Charles was so good today the teacher gave him an apple.”  

What?” I said, and my husband added warily, “You mean Charles?”

Fiction is all about a world an author creates

I think the author chose to have the setting as a school partly because everybody knows what it’s like and also because its common for people to not fit in at school. Also because people make the wrong decisions there too it also makes sense to have it as a school because at the start you don’t know the that there are expectations and you don’t know how to act. There are three main types of people in this text, troublemakers, parents and teachers. There 2 main places, his house and his school. I  think a main theme would be friendship because he wanted to make friends.